Friday, January 4, 2008

6. Love

That one seems to me the equal of the gods,
who sits in thy presence
and hears near him
thy sweet voice and lovely laughter;
that indeed makes my heart beat fast in my bosom

For when I see thee even a little
I am bereft of utterance,
my tongue is useless
and at once a subtle fire races under my skin,
my eyes see nothing,
my ears ring,
sweat pours forth
and all my body is seized with trembling.
I am paler than [dried] grass
and seem in my madness little better than dead,
but I must dare all ...

- a translation of a surviving fragment of a poem by Sapho


Pocket Poem
by Ted Kooser

If this comes creased and creased again and soiled
as if I'd opened it a thousand times
to see if what I'd written here was right,
it's all because I looked too long for you
to put in your pocket. Midnight says
the little gifts of loneliness come wrapped
by nervous fingers. What I wanted this
to say was that I want to be so close
that when you find it, it is warm from me.


Early In The Morning
by Li Young Lee

While the long grain is softening
in the water, gurgling
over a low stove flame, before
the salted Winter Vegetable is sliced
for breakfast, before the birds,
my mother glides an ivory comb
through her hair, heavy
and black as calligrapher's ink.

She sits at the foot of the bed.
My father watches, listens for
the music of comb
against hair.

My mother combs,
pulls her hair back
tight, rolls it
around two fingers, pins it
in a bun to the back of her head.
For half a hundred years she has done this.
My father likes to see it like this.
He says it is kempt.
But I know
it is because of the way
my mother's hair falls
when he pulls the pins out.
Easily, like the curtains
when they untie them in the evening.


Those Winter Sundays
by Robert Hayden

Sundays too my father got up early
And put his clothes on in the blueback cold,
then with cracked hands that ached
from labor in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.

I'd wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
When the rooms were warm, he'd call,
and slowly I would rise and dress,
fearing the chronic angers of that house,

Speaking indifferently to him,
who had driven out the cold
and polished my good shoes as well.
What did I know, what did I know
of love's austere and lonely offices?

No comments: